This past week my sister made it official… she’s getting married! So I did what any good brother would do… I proceeded to design and implement an in-depth quiz for her significant other complete with multiple choice questions, true or false, essay section, and drawing portion.. Just how well does he know my sister… I wanted to know. I figured he’s too new to know whether I’m joking or not… and then the answers arrived. Below is the test.. and the answers in italics… be sure to check out his essay and drawing 🙂
Rachel and David I just wanted to say we are all very happy for you guys and I am sure we’ll hear much more about how you met in the coming weeks. In the meantime David, I wanted to extend a welcome to you and also issue this handy and quick quiz on everything “Rachel” to see just how much you know about the woman you’re going to marry. It will be graded. Maybe… Good luck 🙂
Thank you, Gloria, and the girls for being involved in our special day! You have made us both very happy – Rachel had tears of joy. I will do my best on this quiz, but to be fair, Rachel hasn’t mentioned some of it.
Looking forward to meeting you all soon.
1) Rachel’s favorite place to get ice cream is nicknamed:
A: Crescent Ridge Dairy
2) Rachel once dubbed the chocolate fondu dessert at the Melting Pot
A) evil food
B) devils food
C) good eatin’
A: evil food, but this doesn’t count as correct, as I guessed devil’s food, before she told me the whole story. Is this Rachel or a scene from Oliver? “Please sir, may I have some more.” (of the evil food) 🙂
3) True or False: a sailor in Montreal once put the moves on our mom on a trip with Rachel and myself
4) True or False: for years, Rachel wore a curved SPOON as a bracelet around her wrist
FALSE It was a fork dude, but a spork would have been much more fashionable.
5) Rachel once lived in a house off campus at Brandeis with the name of this famous designer
A) Marciano House
B) Gucci House
C) Levi Strauss House
B: It was the Gucci House, but actually an off-campus fraternity annex in which the brothers chose to live with your sister over some of their brothers.
6) Rachel once met this member of the Grateful Dead
A) Simon Le Bon
B) George Michael
C) Bob Dylan
D) I know this is a trick question designed to test my music cred
D: Trick Question – She has met Bobby, Phil, and others before though, including WavyGravy, but now she is marrying DavyGravy (a nickname of him). She just saw Bobby with me recently at the TriBecca Film Festival and we saw Phil & Friends in Central Park yesterday.
7) True or False: Rachel once hung out with Stevie Wonder and cried like a baby out of happiness
TRUE, thanks to you sir!
8) True or False: Rachel once played a radio game show dubbed “Elevator From Hell”
TRUE, And Won
9) Our dad used to take the family on rides to nowhere dubbed:
A) discovery rides
B) investigation rides
C) exploratory rides
C: Exploratory Ride, but I didn’t guess this correct. She had to tell me about it last night, once I told her I had to guess, discovery rides.
10) This restaurant has rolls that Rachel may love just as much as life itself
B) TGI Fridays
A: Bertuccis, but I think Uno’s would make for a better wedding venue.
11) At Cheesecake Factory, they know Rachel uses THIS salad dressing as the perfect bread dipping sauce
B) thousand island
C: Ranch (it is yummy). I like blue cheese dressing on fries, that is my weird food thing.
12) Rachel and I got penny candy as kids from this great store called
A) Candy Paradise
B) Candy Delite
C) Candy Candy Candy
B. Candy Delite.
13) Rachel used to collect
C) beanie babies
A: Far too many stickers.
14) Our babysitter once convinced Rachel the babysitter was related to what 1980’s pop culture celebrity and would get her an autograph if she behaved:
A) Ricky Schroeder
B) Michael J Fox
C) Scott Baio
B: Michael J. Fox = I guessed this one wrong. ((pete note: was scott baio and was one of my great childhood moments watching her fall for it 🙂 ))
15) This famous singer made an appearance at my sister’s college graduation
A) Barbara Streisand
B) Liza Minelli
C) Whitney Houston
A: Babs = I think it is hilarious that Uncle Reed nearly trampled people to get a picture of her.
16) Rachel’s first concert was
A) Cyndi Lauper/ Sheila E
B) Beach Boys/ Chicago
C) Allman Bros/ Steve Miller
B: Beach Boys/Chicago (mine was The Jackson Five Victory Tour, with my parents). My first one
on own was the Bon Jovi brotherhood tour, with Skid Row, in Hartford.
17) Before there was Diet Coke, Rachel’s allegiance was to:
C) lets never speak of a time before her Diet Coke existed
C: Don’t even get me started on Fresca and OJ. I am the YooHoo fan.
18) Rachel once had a pizza party for her birthday at
A) Papa Johns
B) Papa Gino’s
C) Papa’s Pizza
B: Papa Gino’s – she showed me last weekend in Massachusetts.
19) When I got my tonsils out, my parents bribed me with THIS video game that Rachel re-bought me later in life
B) Space Invaders
C: Galaxian – I actually guessed Galaga, but she had never mentioned.
20) We once had a teacher who doubled in the summertime as a bartender at
A) Town Spa
B) Pizzeria UNO
C) Franca’s Brick Oven Pizza
A: Town Spa – We need to eat there on our next visit.
21) The initials of Rachel’s Latin teacher in high school were
C) she took Latin?
C: She took Latin? – Never said anything about it to me, and I speak in science terms all the time, so you would think that it would have come up.
22) True or False: our swing set saved our home during a hurricane when a tree fell down which would have crushed the house were it not for the 50,000 tons of cement out dad had used on the swing set
TRUE. Hurricane Gloria hit Stamford too, but I do not think that a swing set could have saved my parent’s house from the tree that would have hit theirs, as it is enormous (and I worry about even a branch crushing their bedroom in a bad storm).
23) True or False: Rachel’s brother once had to collect money for all her Girl Scout cookies because she was sick and couldn’t do it
TRUE. She told me the story. Next time, hold two boxes of Samoa’s and one thin Mints for me 🙂
24) One of Rachel’s best friends growing up was
25) That friend’s mom made these Italian treats for us
26) The following was NOT the nickname of one of our old cars growing up
A) New blue
B) Big red
C) Mellow Yellow
C: Mellow Yellow? – but wouldn’t that be a cool name. ((pete note: big red and mellow yellow were the imposter names.. we actually DID have a new blue))
27) We had a truck in the family named
28) Rachel went to an awesome orthodontist as a kid who played MTV and movies called
A) Mr Toothy
B) The Brace Place
C) Metal Mouth
A: Mr. Toothy? (never told me). I did, however, crack up at the story of you running around the office hiding. ((pete note: it was the Brace Place and it was awesome))
29) When Rachel finished her term as USY president she played this Beatles song to the crowd:
A) In My Life
B) The Long And Winding Road
C) Hey Jude
A: In My Life.
30) Which one of these was NEVER a job Rachel held
A) college music label rep
B) kitchen staff for campers
C) Victoria’s Secret clerk
D) school librarian
A: I knew B and C, but wasn’t sure about A or B. She told me now. I do not know why either of you would have left the music label rep job, sounds like soooo mucchhh funnn Ask her about working with the librarian, but was not a school librarian. ((pete note: they got ME here… didn’t know she served as a librarian too at one point))
31) True or False: our dad once got paid for a job in live lobsters and brought home a dozen huge, live lobsters straight from the dock to our house in the middle of the night. TRUE
32) True or False: Rachel once named a lobster we were going to cook and then felt guilty about cooking it. TRUE.. Louie the Lobster makes sense, but how did you come up with Herbie? (a Disney fan)?
33) Rachel got an autographed photo from THIS 1980’s sitcom star
A) Ron Pallilo- Welcome Back Cotter
B) Janet Jackson- Good Times
C) Scott Valentine- Family Ties
34) We had a teacher who was about 350 years old who would sub for us in school named Mrs Freuder… But her nickname was
B) cruella de Freuder
C) monster momma
B: I guessed cruella, but now have heard of Frog Faced Freuder
35) Which of the following would most likely describe the snack offerings at our parents’ 1970’s house parties
A) hummus and pita chips
B) Planter’s nuts & Port Wine cheese
C) fruit and vege tray
A: Hummus and pita chips? (Loves them now, but learned that was not correct). ((pete note: we were totally a plantar’s and port wine family… and SHASTA… lots of SHASTA))
In 50 words or less, please describe your intentions for life with my sister using this handy MadLib form
I find Rachel to be the most (adjective) person I have ever met. Her best trait is her (noun). When I see her (nouns) my eyes light up. During our life together I hope to (verb) as a couple and to be a good (noun) and (noun).
I find Rachel to be the most C.O.M.PASSIONATE person I have ever met.
O: Open and Honest (she is who she is and accepts everyone for who they are!)
PASSIONATE: about everyone and everything important to her: including friends, family, kids, charity, beliefs, ideals, music, etc. She is 100% devoted to whatever she believes in from her volunteering in USY to giving back to Sanctuary’s Zero Tolerance to being a true DeadHead and Phish Phan. It goes on and on, but I am poorly attempting to keep under your 50 word limit.
Her best trait is her heart.
When I see her golden specked hazel eyes, my eyes light up (Jealous, as I have Hazel eyes too, but only occasionally slightly green with envy. Her golden specks are simply put, are mesmerizing).
During our life together, I hope to grow, in every sense of the word, as stronger individuals, and as a couple (flourish = as our love gets even stronger; thrive and prosper = financially; emotionally intelligent, etc.) so that we can be not only be good, but great parents, lovers, and best friends. I can only hope to be as good a father as you must be, bringing up such lovely girls!
How did I do, did I pass?
draw a picture of your ideal family evening at home with Rachel and keep it clean
At a hotel, so trying to draw on computer, not easy, but I am not ARTISTE either:
In closing, I’d welcome the chance to walk Rachel down the aisle to you if the offer is still open and we wish you great times ahead
Nothing would make Rachel, and hence me, happier, than if you, Gloria, and the girls will be part of